SWOT analysis, the key tool in the strategic planning process, can also be applied to career planning. A SWOT analysis focuses on the internal and external environments, examining strengths and weaknesses in the internal environment and opportunities and threats in the external environment.
Use Figure 7.2, SWOT Matrix, presented in the text/tutorial and conduct an analysis of your career planning.
- What advantages do you have?
- What do you do well?
- What relevant resources do you have access to?
- What do other people see as your strengths?
- What could you improve?
- What do you do badly?
- What should you avoid?
- Where are the good opportunities facing you?
- What are the interesting trends you are aware of?
- What changes in technology and markets are occurring on both a broad and narrow scale?
- What changes are occurring in social patterns, population profiles, lifestyle changes, and so on?
- What obstacles do you face?
- Are the required specifications for your career changing?
- Is changing technology threatening your plan?
- Do you have bad debt or cash-flow problems?
- Could any of your weaknesses seriously threaten your future?